Welcome to Good Hurts!

Good Hurts is dedicated to the best hurts on Earth: spicy foods.
I'm Russell. I teach English, write poetry, but most importantly, I am a spice aficionado and I dedicate myself to categorizing, reviewing, and torturing myself with the spiciest foods and sauces this great world has to offer, all so you can know about the most brutal, benevolent, and best bangs for your buck. Email me at hotfreakrussell@gmail.com


Enjoy, and feel the burn.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Peppermaster Pepper Fire: Third sauce not necessarily the charm


The Peppermaster's third sauce in the trifecta of delicious gourmet sauces I'll be reviewing is the weakest of the three, but still a damn good sauce, first of all.  Don't be fooled by the "fusion" label; the one I have is called Pepper Fire. Simple name, but surprisingly the least simple sauce of the three.

Let's look at the facts: There IS a hot sauce universe, and, of course, it's filled with nebulous galaxies. One galaxy is the realm of the Peppermaster, filled with exotic planets and asteroids of goat pepper goodness. If the master himself is at the center, I think of Babysauce as the closest planet in orbit, sweet and warm. I'd call the far-east inspired Curry Fire far out in orbit, filled with a sharper spice and unique flavor. In the middle is Pepper Fire. It's not quite sweet, not quiet savory...it's more garlicy. Not very spicy, but more garlic-spiced. It seems like garlic has overwhelmed some of the ingredients, but what you get is still yummy and definitely worth eating.

Good Hurts: It has a more unique type of spice than its bigger and littler brothers. The Curry Spice hits you right away and lingers; the Babysauce trickles in and stays with you. This sauce builds up over a few bites, stings, and fades quickly. It reminds me of the kind of spice garlic gives you if you eat a clove (or 10, like I like to). A lot the ingredients are exciting, but they get a bit in the way of the fresh heat of a goat pepper.

Flavor: Exciting is the right word, and I already said that. But just look at the bottle: pineapple. Fresh lime juice. Molasses! That should be really exciting right there, but it's all just a little lost in the galactic churn of the garlic. The slow drawl of the molasses, combined with the lime juice, sort of tastes like a more savory cola flavor. This isn't a bad thing...just less sweet and robust and more salty and garlicy. 

Availability: Same as the last two. Here's the site. You know what to do. I'll leave you to it.

Good for: I think, like the Key West Lime hot sauce I good hurt-ed earlier, this would make a solid marinade for beef or chicken. The little tiny bit of sweet, garlic, and sort of salty cola notes would go really well with the smoke of a summer grill and your favorite meat. I think it's a little to heavy for just chips, and might overpower a lot of salsas. A little garlic, after all, goes a long way.

My Review:
Heat: *3/4
Flavor: ***
My Review: 7.0/10

Not the best of the three sauces, but definitely worth eating, buying, and snuggling up with during any season, on any planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment